The surgeons at LACOMS of Bakersfield are dental implant experts in Bakersfield, CA. If you want to replace your missing teeth, they can permanently support natural-looking new crowns. While restoring your ability to eat the foods you love and smile confidently, they can also prevent bone loss and preserve oral health. No other tooth replacement option is as healthy, secure, and functional as dental implants.
Living with missing teeth can negatively affect your oral health and self-esteem. Chewing, smiling, and speaking normally can be nearly impossible with missing teeth. And when teeth are not replaced, dental shifting, bone loss, and other issues can also occur. Implants are the only tooth replacement option that prevents bone loss around the jaw and gums. Whether you want to replace one tooth or many teeth, your oral surgeon can help you find a tooth loss solution that fits your needs.
What are dental implants?
They are a permanent replacement for missing teeth consisting of three parts.
- The base of dental implants is a titanium screw that will replace your tooth’s root. The surgery involves the placement of the screw or screws into the empty tooth sockets.
- Once the surgery sites are healed, abutments/connector pieces will be attached to them.
- These abutments will secure your new replacement teeth in place, whether you need a single crown, a multi-tooth bridge, or even a full fixed denture.
Why dental implants?
Patients and dental professionals consider them to be one of the best options available today for replacing missing teeth.
Below are some of the benefits that patients experience after receiving dental implants:
- A beautiful smile. The crown attachments for your implants are custom designed by your dentist to look and feel identical to a healthy natural tooth.
- A healthier mouth. Missing teeth can eventually cause bone loss, dental shifting, and other problems. Your implants can prevent these issues by stimulating the bone beneath your gums.
- Lifelong tooth replacements. They last longer than any other tooth replacement option. With proper care (regular brushing, flossing, etc.), your new teeth can last a lifetime.
- No-slip stability. Once the surgery sites have healed, your implants will be just as strong as, if not stronger than, your natural teeth. Patients can eat, speak, and smile without worry, knowing that their new teeth will never slip or fall out.
Dental implants have a success rate of over 95%, and they are becoming more and more popular among patients who want an alternative to removable dentures. Our surgeons are experts at placing them safely and securely. We would be happy to discuss all of your treatment options with you at a consultation appointment.
Dental Implant Procedures
Dental implants can support permanent individual tooth crowns, multi-tooth bridges, or even full permanent dentures. Most implant treatments require two separate procedures, although in some cases, single-stage (immediate-loading) implants can be used to reduce the number of visits needed. Your surgeon will review your condition and all of your treatment options during a consultation appointment before beginning your treatment.
After your consultation, you will come in for the placement procedure. Usually, IV anesthesia is used during implant procedures, allowing patients to rest comfortably during surgery and wake up once it’s over. After surgery, your designated driver will be able to bring you home. After your implant sites have healed fully, you will have your abutments placed, which will hold your new replacement teeth in position. Your dentist will customize your crowns to look just like your healthy teeth. Once your crowns are in place, the implant process is complete, and you can enjoy your new smile.
The healing period varies depending on the type and number of implants you receive and your overall health and bone quality. They must integrate with the bone beneath your gums before they can handle full chewing forces; this means that a soft diet may be necessary for some time after surgery. Some swelling and discomfort can occur after surgery, but most patients find that the pain is not too severe. Your surgeon will prescribe a pain medication to control any discomfort. Antibiotics may also be prescribed to prevent post-surgical infection. Your comfort and safety are our top priorities, and our surgeons will be happy to answer any questions you have.
Am I a candidate?
Not everyone can receive dental implants, but most patients who are healthy enough to have a dental extraction are candidates. Even in cases of bone loss, a bone grafting procedure can make it possible for you to receive the procedure. The best way to find out if dental implants are right for you is to come to our office in Bakersfield, CA, for a consultation appointment.
Dental Implants in Bakersfield, CA
If you live in Bakersfield, CA, and you want a permanent solution for tooth loss, contact our office. One of our staff members will be happy to discuss your options and schedule a consultation with one of our experienced oral surgeons.